Monday, April 27, 2015

The Running Ethics: How Far Is Too Far?


How far are you willing to go to ensure your success in running? It all comes down to ethics. There are three principles that I use to help guide my decisions and they have never failed me; I refer to these guidelines as “The Running Ethics.”
  1.  Never compromise who you are. I would never make a decision that goes against my beliefs, morals, or values. No matter how much it may improve my running, I would never do something that compromises who I am or what I stand for.
  2. Think about your actions from a different perspective. When you put yourself in another person’s shoes and review your actions, it can completely change your perspective on an issue. Although throwing elbows or cutting someone off in a race may seem like an easy way to get ahead, when you look at it from the perspective of another racer, these actions would never be permissible.
  3. Always think about the future. I would never do anything to compromise my future or harm it in anyway. This includes my health, reputation, and even my faith. 

If any of these guidelines are compromised in the process of improving my running performance, it’s not worth it. I have found that having ethical guidelines before approaching a situation has made it so much easier to make decisions. What are your experiences with ethical decisions in running? I’d love to hear your feedback.


No comments:

Post a Comment